This was originally sent to the Helium Developer Mailing List on September 28.
Mark here. We have some great things to report and share from the last month or so: new talks, blogs, code, hardware, jobs, and much more.
Remember to pick up your Helium hardware heading into the holiday season. You don’t want to be caught at home with nothing to prototype.
Helium is Hiring
We have two open roles right now at Helium. You should come work for us.
- Community Engineer: https://angel.co/helium-2/jobs/279752-community-engineer
- Software Engineer: https://angel.co/helium-2/jobs/281695-software-engineer
From Zero to Azure IoT in Five Minutes
We did a video demo of how quick and easy it is to get a Atom-powered device talking to Azure IoT using full X.509 certificate authentication. It’s the best thing you’ll watch all week.
- Get it here on the blog: https://blog.helium.com/from-zero-to-azure-iot-in-five-minutes-f32d74c82b9b
Thinking Differently About IoT
Helium CEO Amir Haleem gave a talk a few weeks ago at the Hardwired NYC Event. It clocks in at just under 20 minutes and is well worth your time if you care about what it’ll take for IoT to succeed in the coming years. This is the second best thing you’ll watch all week.
Live Debugging and Realtime Packets in Helium Dashboard
We rolled out a few new features to Dashboard focused on the prototyping. Specifically you can now view packets arriving in real time and inspect their contents.
- Details here on the blog courtesy of Helium’s head of product Coco Tang: https://blog.helium.com/making-helium-prototyping-easier-with-debugging-and-flying-bubbles-5d88d2b27b1f
Hosted MQTT with Helium Dashboard
Helium Dashboard has a built-in, free MQTT Broker deployed for all users out of the box.
- Coco Tang wrote about it on the blog: https://blog.helium.com/heliums-hosted-mqtt-broker-d75979c19ff
New Docs and Code
- The Helium MQTT Broker Channel Docs are all new: https://www.helium.com/dev/data-channels/mqtt
- Atom Real Time Packets: https://www.helium.com/dev/dashboard#atom-packets
- Atom Debug Log: https://www.helium.com/dev/dashboard#atom-debug-log
- Element Realtime Packets: https://www.helium.com/dev/dashboard#element-packets
- Channel Realtime Packets: https://www.helium.com/dev/dashboard#channel-packets
- The Helium Arduino Client hit version 1.5.1: http://www.arduinolibraries.info/libraries/helium
Google Cloud IoT Core Officially in Public Beta
Our friends at Google Cloud IoT officially rolled their service into beta yesterday. Helium was an early alpha partner of this program and some of you are already making use of the service for applications:
- Full Post here on the roll out from GCP IoT here: https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/09/announcing-Cloud-IoT-Core-public-beta.html
- Helium’s Google Cloud IoT Channel Docs: https://www.helium.com/dev/data-channels/google
This Forum has been pretty active of late. A few of the recent Forum threads that might be of interest: